You hear it time and time again. My New Years Resolution this year will be to lose weight or get in shape. Every year you say it, but you’re a lazy fuckwad. I say if you are that lazy you might as well make a New Years Resolution to shit McMuffins or sweat out tar. Come on folks, less talking more walking.
Last year, my resolution was to be happy. I know, I know, super cheesy and was I happy all the time? HELL NO! But I felt the need to really invest in myself (I strongly suggest everyone should do this). This is not to say I didn’t give a damn about my well-being before hand. I did, but I did so in ways that were not conducive to my health (perhaps something I may mention in later blogs). So naturally focusing on myself I signed up for a gym membership, started taking yoga, zumba and one of my besties enrolled in school to become a personal trainer. Talk about perfect timing.
So for all of last year (2012) I went to the gym as often as I could and believe me it was not always easy. I literally forced myself to go sometimes, even if I was only their for 15 mins. Luckily, there were quite a bit of fitness classes during the week that I was able to attend. This definitely made it easier on me. On Saturday mornings, I do a 2 1/2 hour workout with a crazy ass old lady who I swear does a rail Saturday mornings before class. I don’t know about you, but it’s people like that who make me want to go to class and work the fuck out. Because I once upon a time was a dancer, I bought/downloaded cardio dance workout videos, so I could shake my booty at home. But it’s not always this easy for everyone, it wasn’t always easy for me.
This year, I had five New Year Resolution and if I remember correctly, making my farts smell like pickles beat out being happy. Why? Because I am happier, now. Why am I happier now? I have a personal trainer. As fate would have it my lovely friend is now a certified personal trainer and I call DIBS!
Jillian Michaels, watch the fuck out! (Just kidding, I love you, but I love my friend more!)
We meet once a week for training. She sets out a plan for me that day, and sets out a plan for me for a week. Every week it changes. Believe it or not it is awesome. I was never a fan of homework, but this stuff is worth it. I can honestly say I don’t think I have ever been more excited for homework, especially since it is working out.
Perks of having a Personal Trainer:
- The give you a new and different way to work out. One day they may show you how to work on your thighs, and the next time you see them they can show you another way to work them out. Variety is key in keeping up with exercising.
- They show you how to do exercise properly. I don’t know how many times I have gone to the gym and seen people violating the lat machines or humping the benches (no joke). Knowing how to exercise will educate you and keep your body safe. Plus also, not make you look like a tool at the gym.
- They are time savvy! Its not the length of a workout session that determines your calorie burn or value, but its how you work out. They help you get the most out of your workouts. Trainers can intensify your workouts and push you to your limits.
- Not only can they physically push you, they’ll mentally push you. They may even push you to the point where you are crying, laughing or want to bitch-slap them across the face. But its all in the process and trust me it feels so good, hurts so good and all so good.
- Because you are investing in a personal trainer, you will never want to ditch an appointment with them. Why? Because that’s money down the drain for you, time wasted for them and I swear to God they’ll rape the fuck out of you the next time they see you! DON’T DO IT!!!
- The most beneficial perk (in my opinion) is their encouragement and motivation. You may be paying the bill, but they are genuinely investing in you. They want you to succeed, have a killer bod and well healthy lifestyle.
I’m telling you folks, INVEST IN YOURSELVES! GET A PERSONAL TRAINER OR LIFE COACH OR SOMETHING. EVEN A HOOKER FOR ALL I CARE! Put yourself first, and doing that it usually starts with your body, mind and spirit!
PS vancityfit.wordpress.com This is my Jillian Michaels! I may let you borrow her. If you are in the Vancouver or tri-cities area you are welcome!